Saturday, July 17, 2010

Heather's Crafty Saturday & Great Yard Sale Finds...:) :) :)

Hi everyone!!! 

QUICK NOTE: I'll be deleting the labels section on my blog sidebar sometime next week. I'm working on relabeling my posts...ie/the different subjects that I talk about in a given post. I'm trying to streamline it a bit, so it's easier for you to find things...especially if you are looking for an older post :) :) I'll add the labels on the sidebar again, once I've streamline the subject headings :) :) :)

Are you having a great weekend so far? Mine is really good.  The Oregon heat is doing me in..I think we're due for a summer rainstorm soon!!!  My dad and I went to the grocery store to take in some of our bottle returns.  I had enough to buy another skein of Lily Sugar 'n Cream Yarn at Joann's Fabrics...so off we went in the nearly 100 degree heat ;) Thank God for the air conditioner in the car!!!

OH, but I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I'm making Saturday the day where I keep you all up to date on my craft projects....and where they're at in the process..I was trying to come up with a cool title for today's post...something like "Like Money Flying Out of My Wallet, So Are the Craft Projects of My Life"..but I wasn't sure...so I went with something more generic :) :) If you like it, let me know..and I can use that next week!!!

The last time my dad and I were in Ashland, I stopped at The Web*sters and bought this really nice variegated yarn made out of 100% sugarcane fibres!!! It's really pretty.  The first photo is the shop bag. Isn't it cute? I always ask for one. It's cute to carry around town AND it's a great form of advertising for the store!!! The second photo is the yarn itself.  I love the soft colors...AND if you notice it's in a zip lock baggie with a tiny hole cut in the center for the yarn to come through. That's a great tip for any knitting project, if you can't afford a yarn bag to hold a single skein of yarn.. You can put your yarn a ziplock bag and pull the thread through that hole. It helps to keep the yarn in good condition and wards off tangles...



Here are some more yard sale finds that I purchased the same day I went to Ashland!!!  Actually, all of these were purchased in my hometown.  The retro vintage Nestle Tollhouse cookie tin was $1 and the metal Westinghouse ice cube tray was only $0.25. My dad and I actually use that now.  The yarn was purchased at Joann's Fabrics. It wasn't on sale...BUT it's really inexpensive 100% cotton and great for making dishcloths etc. This is going to be a project for a friend :) :) :) I'm knitting ballband dishcloths. I'll post pics of the progress and the finished product, too!!!!


Here's a close-up of one of the adverts from 1942, plus on another side there's the actual chocolate chip cookie recipe from Nestle Tollhouse!!!



This is the metal ice cube tray I purchased for $0.25. They don't make these anymore..I was really surprised. I love these so much better than the plastic trays. My dad and I are actually using this now. Although, only half the ice cubes are coming out like cubes. The other half is coming out like crushed ice. Does anyone have any tips for making better ice cubes?






Now we come to today. After my dad and I redeemed the bottles for cash at the grocery store, we went to Joann's Fabric for yarn. I had enough to buy one skein with the money we got from the bottle returns.  More on that story later... On the way home, we saw this huge fundraiser/church yard sale in the parking lot of the Mucho Gusto restaurant!!! Great burritos by the way...It was after 1 p.m. and EVERYTHING was HALF-PRICED. All the books and cookbooks were FREE..So here's what I ended up with...

This lovely serving dish with delicate pink flowers...starting to fade a little bit, but still beautiful. It was originally priced at $2...but I only paid $1. The backstamp is Johnson Bros of England...






This cookbook was absolutely free!!! I took it because of the title..."Money-saving...." Sometimes I feel like I'm so poor, I owe myself a quarter...but since it was free, I thought I'd give it a try. I can always give it to someone else if I decide it doesn't meet my needs :)


This is a super cute rustic country tissue box cover!!!! There was no price on it, so I asked one of the church helper's how much they wanted for it...I only paid $0.25.  I do use tissues...however, this will be repurposed for something else. I also included a photo of the artist stamp on the inside!!!! Any ideas for a use, besides a tissue box cover?




This was a handmade lace chocker..at least that's what I think it is. This was just $0.25 cents, too :) :) You can see the little button closer in the second photo. I'm actually going to add fabric in the center and use it as a plate liner.  It'll be a nice way to protect my plates from getting scratched...




Now this book was also FREE.. I didn't take it home for myself so much as I thought one of my collector friend's might like it. It's fairly old..not sure of the exact date, because there was no publishing date anywhere in the book. All I know is that it is a first edition!!!


This I'll keep because it reminds me of the late 1800s up to the 1930s..This is actually an anniversary edition of the Gregg Shorthand book. The original was published in 1892....the one I have was published 1929. This was another FREEBIE..remember, by the time I got to the sale, ALL books and cookbooks were FREE.. :) :)


Here were a couple more cookbooks that were FREE. The one on the left was published ca. 1994...recipes from the ladies at the First Church of the Nazarene in my hometown. The other book was recipes from Fulton, CA. Now this one was funny, because it had advertisements in it for local businesses along with the sweet reminder "Please patronize our patrons" :) :) :) If I decide I don't want them, I'll give them away.

This was definitely the steal of the week...two KING-SIZED emerald green satin pillow cases with ruffled-edge...for get this...originally $1 for a set of two. However, I only had to pay $0.50 because it was half price. So I actually have two of these, plus a free pants hanger that these came on. My dad later said, when he saw me pick that off the rack he knew he'd end up waiting for awhile :) :)


Oh, since I've decided to make Saturdays "Heather's Crafty Saturday"...here's what I bought at Joann's Fabric today with the bottle return money. Oh, now this is a super-sized skein...and it's normally $2.79. I got to the front register and the lady asked if I found everything. My reply "Yes, I always find more than my wallet can afford." Her response..."Thank you..how about I give you a 50% discount?"...seriously, that's what she said...Okay, I'm no dummy...so I took it. I ended up only paying $1.39 and that was it. There is no sales tax in the state of Oregon...so what you see is what you pay!!!! I'm so thankful to God for little blessings like this...this was definitely not one I was looking for or prayed over for that matter...but God blessed me anyway, because He loves me :) :) I'm convinced He'll do the same for you. Just keep your eyes open to the good things God has blessed/and is blessing you with :) :) :)

More ladies decided to join my blog totally out of the blue. What a pleasant and very happy surprise...!!!!
WELCOME TO: Linda May of Blueridge Boomer. Click here to check out her blog :) Linda, I'm looking forward to reading your blog and getting to know you a little bit better :)
WELCOME TO: Karen Long of Glass of Sweet Tea. Click here to visit her :) She has a really neat story and she's a really nice lady :)
WELCOME TO: Mary of Vintage Comfort. Please click here if you'd like to pay her a visit. She has some really super cute vintage things to look at:) :) Mary, you're a sweetheart. Thanks for updating your profile so I could include your blog here for everyone :) :) :)
So God is really good to me...and I'm so thankful that you all consider my blog worth your time. I love Jesus Christ and I hope that comes through in what I write!!!  I'm almost finished with the "Redeeming Ruth" Bible study. I'm thoroughly enjoying that. Click here if you want to listen in. Pastor Mark Driscoll can be a bit brash sometimes...but if you listen to the heart of his message. It's so good. I'm encouraged as a single lady. I feel more loved by God since I've started this study...and I realize that God has place for single people.  Sometimes I think the church forgets singles...but God doesn't...remember that!!! God loves each and every one of us.  He has a plan for our lives, even if we can't see it yet :) :) Just look at Ruth!!! I think the story of Ruth and Boaz also provides some great guidelines for choosing a spouse, too...but those are just a couple of the things that I learned in this study so far :) :)
I love all visitors and comments, too :) :) If you are new to my blog, would you please tell me how you found me :) :) I'm always interested to learn that!!! I hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!
That's the news from Oregon today. Love and hugs, Heather :) :) :)

14 comments:

Gerry's Soap N Stuff said...

Hello again Little Lady, I enjoyed your post tonight. I think the idea of your craft projects and yard sale buying Saturday Posts is great. I can see you right now in a yard sale and money flying out of your wallet like crazy! Lol...I love your ice tray. I remember using those myself years ago and I aso remember some of the cubes being crushed. I like your selection of yarn colors, very pretty. I will have to research the ballband dishcloths, not familiar with that. Happy blogging, Love and Hugs, Gerry

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Hello, Heather, I found you on Flowers in His Garden blog. I visit her blog frequently. Hey, I live in Oregon and it was in the 70s today. You must live further south? We live 30 minutes south of Portland.
My hubby and adult daughter went with me to seek out lavender to make into lavender wands. Learned how to do that last Sat. but didn't have any ribbon nor did I buy lavender at farm I was at....did get some better, fresh picked in the morning lavender.
I like your blog!! God bless and have a good rest of the weekend. :0)

Jill said...

Hi Heather!
Looks like we both enjoyed yard saling today! Don't you just love getting things at a steal of a deal? ;-) I remember those ice trays my grandma had them, I think they are cool and it's easier to get the ice out too. For the kleenex box cover, how about a planter? Place a small potted flower underneath and let it blossom up over the top, or an ivy plant? That platter is gorgeous!! So many yummy recipes to try out on that! The tin was a great find too, be sure to fill it with some of the yummy choc. chip cookies LOL Hope you have a great day!
Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog. I'm trying to figure out how to enable comments to email back to people from mine. Sometimes when I answer back on my blog, I'm afraid not everyone knows I answered back! I'm still learning things.
Blessings, Jill

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi ladies :) :) I had a great day today and found cool stuff at a church yard sale :) :) I love church yard sales. They almost always have the best stuff :) :)

@Gerry....Do you think I should call my Saturday posts "Like money flying out of my wallet, so are the yard sales of my life"? I don't know that it makes a whole lot of sense, but it sure is funny :) :) :) Let me know!! It was a yard sale bonanza. My dad said if we only had $20 left for food, and you had to get groceries..you'd probably forget the forget the food and buy yard sale stuff. He's probably right :) :) Somewhere in one of my earlier posts where I was digging out unfinished craft projects, there's a dishcloth in there...a ballband dishcloth. However, they knit up rather fast, so I'll be posting a photo next Saturday :) :) :) When will you make your next batch of soap? I"m faithfully turning mine over once a day!!!

@Grandma Becky....I love Camille at Flowers in His Garden. She always has something from the Bible to share...or great stories about her family!!! So cool!!!! I think that's what every woman needs is a good dose of Jesus Christ and family :) :) :) yeah, I'm in Southern Oregon and it was absolutely miserable today. In fact, that church yardsale I visited today...it was hot...because they were in a parking lot and the heat almost knocked me over. I came home and just drank lots and lots of water!!! Thanks for "liking" my blog :) :) What farm where you at? I've read of a few farms in the Northwest that sell lavendar...and there's one in TX even...but I'm not sure on that!! Please come visit again!!!

Ladies...thanks for visiting me :) :) I know I like the softer colors of pink, blue, green..but when I saw those emerald green sating pillow cases...I had to give them a home in MY home :) :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Jill,

Okay...that's so funny you commented about my yard-sale advenetures. I was just about to hop on over to your blog and read about what you bought :) :) :) :) I'll do that...but let me respond here first. I'm still trying to figure out blogger too :) :) I love the metal ice trays because they don't break..and I"d glady pay $5 or overpriced at $10...knowing they'd last for decades!!! I don't like the plastic ones...now an alternative would be rubber..not as nice as metal...but doesn't break like cheap plastic.
The platter is actually more of a deep dish. I have one of a simlar size in a Wedgwood china pattern, from my grandmother's wedding china. I'm guessing it would have been used for veggies? Right now, I'm using it as a cute place for my yarn, when I'm knitting in the living room. My dad thinks is cute!!!
As far as emailing back to people on your blog...do you moderate your comments on your email or on the blog itself? Whenever I leave a comment anywhere, there's always a link somewhere where people can subscribe...but I think they have to click on that link. I'm not sure there is anything you can do...but for example on your blog, i'll leave a comment on a post I like...like the drive-in for example..and when I did that, I also clicked "subscribe to this post" that way, i could follow the conversation/comments left by your other blogger friends to that same post. does that help at all? Let me know!!!

Have a great Sunday and a good week.

Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

Jill said...

Thank you!!! I just left a comment on my blog for you, but I wanted to make sure you see it. I didn't realize that's how the subscribe thing worked LOL Bear with me, I have lots to learn! Always looking for tips and suggestions. Just want to make sure people get my responses back to them. Thanks for taking time to answer me back. You're so sweet! :-) I'm headed to bed now... It's almost 2 AM, and I have a busy day tomorrow! Thanks again!!! Jill

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Jill,
If I had remember it was that late where you're at, I would have waited until tomorrow to write back!! :) :) :) Sometimes if I have a question about blogger, I'll post it in my blog post...and my blogger friends have responded on occasion..so just a thought :) :) But you do what's best and what you feel led to do. I always pray over my blog, too!!!
I need to sleep now too..although it's only 10:42p.m. here on the West Coast :) :) I need LOTS of beauty sleep :) :) Love and hugs, Heather :)

Sheila said...

Heather,
I found your blog through Jill's blog. I love your yard sale finds!! We just don't have good sales around here though I have had some luck at the Salvation Army store and the local Good Will. I love that yarn in the second picture--it is gorgeous. I love old cookbooks though I am trying not to collect any more--I love to see how people cooked in the "olden" days!
I well remember the metal ice trays too--love them--the plastic ones of today don't seem to last very long. My mom used to collect antique tins--I'll have to ask her what happened to all of them.
Gosh--I haven't thought of shorthand in a while--I took it in high school and thought it was so neat. Off to read more of your blog--I just love finding new blogs!! I hope you have a wonderful day! Sheila

Karen Long said...

Hey Heather... Thanks So Much for the Welcome in your post.. I am excited that more people are enjoying my new found fun.. blogging...
OMG.. I love the stuff in your pictures.. I have an Old Hershey Choc can myself.. for years mom made an AWESOME peanut butter fudge every year for christmas,,and she had the old Hershey can with the instructions, but of course she added some loving touches that made it her own.. now that she has passed, it has fallen on to me to make it every year.. she showed me how to do it the year before she passed away...and that Ice tray..OMG i remember my parents having those when i was a kid..
love it!!! great post...have a great Sunday and i will talk to ya soon

Becky said...

Hey Heather;
I really like your idea of posting craft projects on Saturdays - perhaps I will follow your lead. I made 2 scarfs but forget to blog about them - perhaps I will go do that next. I love reading about your crafts and "yard sailing" as we call it. I need to HAVE a yard sale.

Jill said...

Sorry, I was so tired last night! LOL i've been staying up way too late, and last night it was to recover the chairs. Yes I did watch those shows you mentioned, and true a lovely nightgown would be a great idea for Kathleen. :-) Hope your having a great day. Still crazy busy here but i hope to be on later to post if I can stay awake. just wanted to respond back.
Blessings, Jill

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI everyone...I"m have a lazy Sunday today..I just finished my breakfast for lunch not too long ago. Now I"m feeling tired and ready for a nap. Yuck...I hate naps. I'd rather be out doing something..but my body says otherwise :)

@Sheila....so cool...thanks for visiting my blog and joining, too!!! Yeah, yard sales, garage sales, thrift stores etc...I love it. I'm sorry they're not that great in your area. You could try a different part of town...OR try another town sometime and see what you find!! I saw some interesting yard sales on my way to Ashland awhile back. So I may have to check those out next time!!!!

@Karen....I love that ice cube tray!! My mother had a couple that were similar...but it only made two rows of ice cubes instead of three..but hose ice cubes were gigantic!! I'm going to look for more of those!!! I have a vintage coffee tin that I use for...tada..coffee..I buy mini-packs of ground coffee..and I just recently bought that Via instant coffee from Starbucks..just to try it out. I love chocolate chip cookies. You're right..I'll need to fill it with something good :)

@Becky...thank you. I LOVE yard sales!!! I wish I had more money so I could find more things at yard sales to decorate my home!!! Yard sailing...ha ha ha ha :) :) ) that's true!!!!

@Jill...no worries :) :) I've had a couple nights like that myself, where I stayed up way too late, because I was really into what I was doing...which one night, was working on a post for my blog :) :)

Thanks for leaving me comments everyone. I love to receive them and read them :) :) :) Have a great week. Lots of love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, thanks for the welcome. What a goomba - I didn't know there was no link to my blog. It's Vintage Comfort, btw and I've fixed my profile. Thanks for letting me in on that secret ;)

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Mary/Vintage Comfort :) :) :), So cool...thank you!!! I'll update this post and I'll make a note on today's post...so people can come visit you if they'd like. I LOVE vintage, rustic, country, romantic, Victorian...I love it all I think :) :) :) I was browsing through some of your posts. So cute!!! I don't know why, but I fell in love with that flour sifter. My mom used to have one just like it when I was a kid. Have a great day. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)