Friday, July 2, 2010

French Bath Mitt Revisited & I Was Convinced My Computer Was Broken.

Hey there everyone, this note I'm adding at 1:27 p.m....my dad saw my blog and LOVED it..and he especially liked the photos...and he said "I want credit for the photos"..but you have to understand he's laughing while he's saying this..so we were working on a name for my dad's pictures...."Pics by Pete" or "Petey Rabbit Pictures"...I like the last one...: ) :) :)...so all photos that my dad does will be credited to "Petey Rabbit Pictures" :) :


Hi everyone,  I was convinced that my computer was broken last night.  It was really frustrating for sure.  I had written out my knitting instructions but Blogger wouldn't upload the photos. Needless to say I was really sad last night.  Everything is working fine now. I think God just wanted me to learn another lesson in patience.  So I'll write this out again for you all :) :)

Let me give you my short knitting history.  I taught myself how to knit while living as an exchange student in Norway years ago. There are knitting shops all over the place where I was studying. I had purchased a pair of handknit mittens and lost them during a New Year's Eve party. So instead of buying another pair, I told myself I'd learn to knit. A German friend taught me how to cast on stitches onto the knitting needle. That was hard for me..but once I figured that out, everything else was really easy.

Funny story..true story..I learned to knit in Norway..so I only knew knitting terms in Norwegian. I didn't know what any of this was called in English. So when I came back to the States I didn't know what to ask for in the knitting shop.  Fortunately the associate was able to figure out what I needed :) :) I also use the metric system when I knit. However, I'll make sure to include US measurements here for ease of understanding!!!

This is the type of yarn I use quite a bit. It's Lily Sugar 'n Cream (super size) - 2.5 oz (70.9 grams). It's 100% cotton and a real workhorse,...especially if you're making household items with it...and even if it's for fun things...it's a great, inexpensive yarn to work worth. I bought mine at Joann's Fabrics...but I've also seen this brand of yarn at Michael's and Craft World.

Heather's Blog-o-rama

Some supplies that you'll need to get started:
Cotton yarn (I used Lily Sugar 'n Cream 2.5 oz)
5 double pointed knitting needles - 3.5 mm(US 4)
1 double pointed knitting needle - 4.5mm (US 7)
~ I use a slightly larger knitting needle for casting on. I'll explain why in just a moment.
Row marker
Row Counter
Notebook and pen or pencil
Tape measure

Finished size - 5 inches wide x 7 inches high

"Always" knit a gauge swatch first. I put that in "quotations"..because I don't always do that. It's not always necessary..and I'm a bit of a rebel knitter. However, for this project you should do that.

In my case I knit a swatch 24 stitches long by 24 rows. It gives me a nice surface area to measure just how many stitches I knit per inch. Here I knit with the 3.5 mm knitting needles and came up with 5 stitches per inch.  Since I'm knitting this mitt in the round..it's 5 inches wide...but it's ACTUALLY 10 inches in the round. So 5 stitches per inch times 10 inches is 50 total stitches to cast on!!!

There's a trick I learned to figure out how much of a yarn tail I need to cast on.  The general rule of thumb is 4-5 times the finished width..in this case I'm knitting 10 inches in the round...so I'm going to use a 50 inch yarn tail. I always use a little more because I like to have an easy time weaving in the ends when I'm finished with the project.

At the 50 inch point you'll want to wrap the yarn over your fingers..from front to back as seen in the photo below..

Those are my hands in the photos. No, I don't bite my nails. ..but I do cut them really short. It makes it much easier to type.  I've though about trying really short acrylic nails sometime..but that'll have to wait until my wallet fattens up a bit.  So there you see my tanned hands in all their glory...My dad helped me with the photos:) :)


Petey Rabbit Pictures

..bring it back around front again...

Petey Rabbit Pictures

..you'll want to bring the yarn back behind your fingers again..until you end up with a loop like the one pictures in the photo below..

Heather's Blog-o-rama

Take the 4.5mm (US 7) double pointed knitting needle and insert it into the loop as shown in the next photo...Gently pull tighter until the loop is fitting snug around the knitting needle.  Now you'll notice that you have to lines of yarn..one with the tail end and the other coming from the skein of yarn itself. Make sure that the tail end of the yarn is around your thumb and the other is around your pointer finger....Look at the next TWO photos as a reference point :)

Petey Rabbit Pictures

I always use a slightly larger knitting needle to cast on.  It adds some elasticity to your project and prevents it from being too tight at the bottom.  don't worry about it being too loose. As you're knitting, it will naturally tighten up on it's own. Now that you're holding the yarn in your left hand as seen below...take the knitting needle and go under the outeryarn around your thumb...and pick up that string...


Petey Rabbit Pictures

Now move that knitting needle towards the inner loop around your pointer finger..go just to the right of that inner string...go under and pick up that yarn..

Petey Rabbit Pictures

Pull that string through the loop created on your thumb..

Petey Rabbit Pictures


Petey Rabbit Pictures

Pull gently and tighten loop around knitting needle. You've just cast on your first knit stitch.  Repeat those steps until you've cast on as many stitches as you'll be needing for your project.

Petey Rabbit Pictures

Everyone will knit a little bit differently...so it's always important to measure your gauge when you knit that test swatch. You may need to use a slightly larger or smaller set of knitting needles.  It doesn't really matter as long as the finished size is 5in wide by 7in high...and even there, you can manipulate it if you want...to fit different hand shapes!!

I cast on 50 stitches for my project (Five stitches per inch).  Now switch to the 3.5 mm(US 4) double pointed knitting needles and divide evenly among the four needles. In this case 4 doesn't divide evenly into 50..so I just put 12 stitches on needles 1 and 2..and 13 stitches on needles 3 and 4.  I ALWAYS use four needles and knit in with the fifth..ALWAYS...It's more common to  use this many needles in Europe, than it is in the States.  The reason for this is that it gives you a nice "round" shape and there's less stress and tension at the corners!!! you're project will look nicer!!! Make sure the ridge created while casting on..that ridge should be pointing in the same direction...towards the inside/down..otherwise you might end up knitting a mobius.


Heather's Blog-o-rama

Begin to knit in the round. Join the last stitch of needle four to the first stitch of needle one..insert the right needle into the first stitch of needle one as show in the photo...

Petey Rabbit Pictures

Loop yarn around inserted needle from back to front...

Petey Rabbit Pictures

Pull that loop through that stitch on needle one...

Petey Rabbit Pictures

Let slip the stich from the left needle and you've just knit your first stitch. It's that easy...truly...because you're knitting in the round that's the only stitch you use in this entire pattern.

Petey Rabbit Pictures

I use a combo row marker/counter.  I place it one stitch in from the beginning of my row. I count the number of rows that I knit...and write everything down...so that if I want to make this later...and I don't feel like knitting a gauge swatch, I can refer to my notes.  I'm fairly true to size when I knit, so for a project like this I don't worry too much.
I also put anything like knitting patterns, recipes etc into a sketchbook artists journal that I have. I'm creating a cute little book that I can pass down to my kids someday that will have all my favorite/useful tips in it!!! I'll see about posting a photo of that tomorrow!!!

Heather's Blog-o-rama

Keep on knitting in the round until the piece measures 7 inches from the bottom. Then divide up the stitches evenly between two double pointed needles.  I knit the first stich of the front and back needles TOGETHER...knit the next two stitches of the front and back needles together..then I take the knitting needle in my left hand..insert it into the first stitch made and slip it OVER the second stitch.  I knit another two stiches together...and repeat that process..slip that first stitch over the second stitch..as you do this it'll close up your kn itting project by creating a seam!!!  When you get to the very last stiches, knit as usual and then just pull the yarn th rough and create a knot.  Cut the thread...pull the yarn through to the wrong side with a yarn needle. I just weave in any loose ends...and this is what it looks like when it's finished...

Heather's Blog-o-rama
That's how you knit a French bath mitt...a real simple one.  it's really easy and my instructions don't do justice to how easy this pattern really is. Tomorrow I'll show you some of the knitting books I use as references if I'm not sure about something...Plus, I'll show you the books that I learned to knit with while I lived in Norway...

If you have any questions, please let me know. I wrote this with the assumption that you all have some basic knitting knowledge already...but if not, ask me, and I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Not much else is going on today. I'm glad that Blogger is working again.  I was so upset and frustrated about not being able to post my photos...I thought for sure I'm going to have to shut down my blog...NOPE..I think God was teaching me a lesson in patience and trusting Him in difficulty. Last night I really wasn't in the mood to listen...but it was like I felt God telling me, just let it go and go to sleep and try again in the morning.  I don't have to finish everything TODAY. Well, I went to bed, woke up, and tried uploading my photos again. Blogger is working great today.

I don't have any special plans for the 4th of July weekend. I'll try and see some fireworks...but that's about it right now. What about you all? 

WELCOME TO SHARON OF "A MERRY HEART JOURNAL". THANKS FOR JOINING MY BLOG. YOU'RE A SWEETHEART. YOU CAN FIND A LINK TO SHARON'S BLOG ON MY SIDEBAR!!!

I love hearing from you!!! That's the news from Oregon. Love and hugs, Heather :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

I love the colors that you picked out. I love 100% cotton yarn. I like to use it for dishclothes.

We don't have plans for the 4th.

Have a wonderful day.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

@Amy...I LOVE cotton yarn for dishcloths, bath mitts, anything for the home..it's great!!! I use other brands of cotton yarn too...but right now it's a little too spendy...so I stick with the "lily" brand. It works really well!!!...and the colors are so cheery..the ones I pick :) :) :) You can really manipulate this pattern all different ways...as long as you know what your stitches per inch are..you can make anything!!

Thanks for visiting!! love and hugs, Heather :) :) :)

Gerry's Soap N Stuff said...

Hello again, Heather. I am glad you got your pictures loaded. I am a beginner and knitting with more than 2 needles are over my head at this point, but it looks so interesting. I will study this. Maybe I can, like the little train said, I think I can. Hugs, Gerry

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

@Gerry...yes you can knit with more than two needles..It's easy...You can only use two at a time anyway!!!...and you knit from right to left..and when you get to the end of that needle, just pick up with the next one...you should try it...practice....buy some chunky yarn and some really fat double pointed needles and try it out!!! It's easy!!!! If I come across anything with a good tutorial in it, I'll let you know. Otherwise, i always go for books that have good color photographs!!!! Love and hugs, Heather :)