Thursday, June 24, 2010

Meet Jasper McPiggy & the Answer can be found in the laundry room.


Feel free to borrow this Scripture photo and share it with your friends and loves ones!!!


My dad and I went to the grocery store this morning to pick up some breakfast fixin's...and we were talking about the hospital visit. He's keeping my cell phone with him just in case there's a call from the hospital. I can't even remember what we were talking about on the way home....but whatever it was, it was making us both laugh. Then I said "Daddy, I love you. I don't care what anyone else says!!! Oh, and I'll keep you around for another year...at which time your "favorite Daddy contract" will be reviewed...and either renewed or suspended.".....Okay...so you have to understand that every time I say that, it makes my dad laugh. It makes me laugh, too. My dad actually smiles real big and I'm the one who starts laughing...quietly and then increasing to a really loud laugh :) :)

I'm going to start on my first craft project for my blog today. I'll be knitting French bath mitts. They are super easy...and these mitts have been around for a LONG time!!! I did have a question before I blog about it. Would you all prefer to see the entire pattern from start to finish on ONE post or over a series of days? It's easy, so the post won't be as long as some of my others have been.. Let me know what you prefer...or if my blog is so fabulous, it doesn't matter :) :) :)

Let me introduce you to my piggy bank...that I affectionately have named Jasper McPiggy. No I don't normally name objects...but this was just so 1930s super cute...I couldn't resist. No, Jasper is not an antique. I purchased him at a Hallmark store a few years ago. He was sitting in the section with stuff for newborn babies. he was just too cute...I couldn't resist.. I mean, if I'm going to be saving my spare change, the piggy bank must be CUTE!!!!



One of the things I do to save money is put all spare change into Jasper McPiggy...FEED THE PIGGY!!!! That means after EVERY transaction, I put that spare change in the piggy, so I don't spend it on unnecessary things. When Jasper is full, I put the change into a glass canning jar. Now the jar isn't full yet...not even close... I'm not sure what I'll do with the funds yet. It's not like I can save for retirement with it...BUT it's the principle that I think is important....saving money, even if it's just spare change. :) :) :) Oh, I do save pennies....for sure...because I believe the penny still has value!!! So I should see what I'll do with that and save for something...make it a game...not sure yet. I just love this little piggy bank!!



I just thought Jasper McPiggy's backside needed a photo, too :) :) Do you have any cute ways of literally saving spare change? What do you with it?

I was also doing laundry today. I usually put it off till the last possible day...and then I go wash it. Today I had to do two loads at the same time. Normally I just wash one load on any given day. As you may have learned already, I live in an apartment complex. It's fairly nice and most of the time very quiet...which I love!! In any case, people will often leave/give away items...by just leaving them on the folding table in the laundry room. Most of the time I'm trolling for magazines...especially anything that fits into my romantic, country, Victorian, rustic, vintage style of decorating. I'm a magazine junkie...I'll admit that!! Today it was something different. Someone left a Bible in the laundry room.


It's written in the "New Century Version"...I don't know anything about it except it's a very modern English. I've seen it used in this New Testament Biblezine for young women called "Becoming". You should be able to find those in your local Christian bookstore. In any case, I thought it was a neat thing to leave there...and of course, I wondered why...but I was just flipping through the pages. My laundry was still in the washer at this point and not ready for the dryer!!!

I found this inscription on the inside. I thought that was sweet. The phrase that really touched my heart was the way this person signed the greeting...."God's love and mine..." That's something to remember!!!! So I took it back to the apartment to show my dad. It smelled heavily of smoke. Whoever owned this Bible before smoked a LOT!!! I explained to my dad that if he was interested in keeping it, we could air it out outside and the "smokestack" odor would dissipate.


Nope....my dad didn't want it. I understand...Second-hand smoke really affects me in a major way. It gives me a sore-throat for a couple of days and my voice is a little raspy. It does something similar to my dad, too. However, that is NOT why he didn't want to keep it.

Oh let me insert a note about my dad here. He's a very smart man who LOVES his Jesus. My dad is now 59...He accepted Jesus Christ into his heart when he was 5 years old. He has his B.A. in Christian Education and an M.Div. in Systematic Theology. In any case, I point that out...because my dad loves to study the Bible...and he will read different English translations just to compare etc. He also likes free Christian study materials and freebies in general..just like me :) :) Although I think that we both prefer reading in the New King James Version the most.

I asked "You don't want the Bible because it smells like smoke? We can fix that. That's easy to get rid of." To which my dad replied "Not at all. Put it back in the laundry room. I have a lot of Bibles already. Maybe someone will read this one and get saved.."...Awwww...that was his primary concern...someone else being blessed by God's Word!!!! That's true...it sometimes happens that way. Sometimes the answer to life's real questions and finding ultimate love, peace and joy can be found in a laundry room. God can use anything...even a Bible left in a laundry room to reach someone's heart with the Gospel.  In my case, I accepted Jesus Christ on a freeway in Tijuana, Mexico when I was eight years old.  Dad and I were coming home from a church retreat...

(question here added at 1:50 p.m. PST) I had a gentleman leave a nice comment on my blog...but then also left a "business calling card" if you will with a URL for free blog graphics in the body of the comment.  It was a bit strange.. and I don't know about you all but I don't ever do that on anyone else's blog, unless given permission to do so. So I deleted the comment, because something wasn't ringing true for me here. Did I overreact? Would love your comments on proper blog comment etiquette...please!!! Thanks everyone!

WELCOME TO: Tammy of Flat Creek Farm. You can find a link to her blog on my sidebar under "Blogs/Sites I read" :) :) :) Check it out. She's a sweet lady. She has a farm with cute furry and fluffy animals. ..She does a lot!!!...Like many others super cool ladies I know :) :)

My knitting project will be posted very soon. My laundry is also dry and smelling very clean.  That's the news from Oregon. Love and hugs, Heather :)

3 comments:

Gerry's Soap N Stuff said...

I am learning to knit, so I vote to see it as you go, can't wait. :)

Gerry

Sue said...

Hi Heather, I always enjoy reading about your day, I am so blessed. I don't think you over reacted to the commenter, I don't like to say this but not everyone in blogland is on the up and up. I have had to deal with spammers. So to protect yourself you did fine.
I too prefer the New King James Version of the Bible. So many other versions seem to change the meaning. But that is just me, I think it is a personal choice though.Enjoy your evening.
Hugs, Sue

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

@Gerry...thanks. I'll note "one vote for post as I go" on the knitting project :) :) :) I've been thinking of going to Ashland, OR soon and buying some sock yarn...German sock yarn...it comes with the pattern already dyed in the wool...you just knit it up and voila...pretty feet!!!

@Sue...thank you :) :) I'm blessed too by what you write and everyone else here. I think God has brought some really quality, awesome ladies here...you included ;) :)

Thanks for the advice about spam etc...

Bibles....and which translation to read...yeah, that's a tricky choice sometimes. I like the NIV and the NLT sometimes because it just puts Scripture into everyday language..and I'm thinking someone who has never read the Bible ever or heard about Jesus..that would be a good place to start. You're right about some things not being translated really accurately...but rather loosely. I'd have to go back and take down some examples where I thought the meaning wasn't conveyed accurately enough...but that's when comparing NKJV with any other version..:) :) I raed the NKJV and the NLT mostly..more NKJV... I even have three different translations of the Bible in German, too. That's pretty cool :)

Have a great evening, Sue and a really good weekend :) :)

Thank you ladies for paying me a visit today :) :) Love and hugs, Heather :)