Saturday, June 19, 2010

I found some cute things at a yard sale today!!!

My dad and I were out on an errand. We decided to take a look at some yard sales. Today was a great day for it. It seems liked just about every street corner, there was at least one yard sale happening. The most interesting one that I saw was a $2 clothing sale at McDonald's. It was for charity organization that helps feed hungry people. That was interesting because they were situated in the parking lot...right where all the cars go by after they've picked up their food from the drive-thru window!!
In any case, I found some great things here and I only spent $7.75 for everything. I didn't negotiate because I just didn't. I wouldn't even know how to do that. However, I was happy with my purchases because they'll fit right in to my decorating. There are a couple of items I just picked up because they were so cheap, I couldn't resist. The wire cage...well, I'll figure out something pretty to do with it...maybe intersperse some flowers or something? If you have any ideas, please let me know!!!



This is everything that I found today...all displayed on the table. Now the one thing I truly needed were the pant hangers. I found 2 sets of 3 pant hangers for just $1 per set...for a total of $2. They are still in good working condition!!! Most of this stuff I picked up at a church youth group yard sale. In fact, this church was the very same place where I bought my padded hangers last year :) :) They throw a great yard sale!!! Oh, do you notice the "table runner" that all this stuff is laying on? I got that at the church yard sale for $0.50. I'm not sure if it's a table runner or something else...but I just loved the red cherries against the pink background...very cute!!!


This was the most expensive item...a set of 6 ceramic napkin rings for $3. I probably paid too much for these, but they're in perfect condition..they are frilly and feminine. They'll look really nice with the cotton napkins that I'll embroider eventually!!!


Oh, I plan on adding more pink to the decor...and I saw this lonely little plate looking for a home....right in my home :) :) :) It was only $0.75.  I plan on adding more pink colored dishes to my collection...as I find pieces!!!


The camera I found at a different yard sale. It's a movie camera for just $0.75. I don't think it works anymore, but it was so cute and so cheap...I'll find somewhere to display it!!! The little white/pink doily with the double ruffle I found at yet another yard sale for just $0.25. It fits into my color scheme...so I bought it!!! It does have a little coffee stain on the white part. ANy ideas on how to get it out? That doily is lying on top of a white p illow case with crocheted white lace/pink flower edging. Now here was by far the BEST deal of the day...notice that the edging is real handwork!!!!...it was in a pile of pillow cases for just$0.10. It does have a slight rip in the case...but that's small potatoes.I can fix that and make it look new again!!!


Here's a close up of what my dad called the "birdcage". This was only $0.25. I found this at the same yard sale where I picked up the camera. I thought it would make a really cute vintage/juntique vignette. Any ideas on how I can pretty this up even more?


A close-up of the movie camera from the front.


A close-up of the movie camera from the side. This thing is small enough to be held in the hand..but don't be fooled by it's little itty bitty size....this thing is HEAVY!!!


Here's a little magnet I got for $0.15 at the church yard sale. The magnet will need to be replaced. It's not very strong. However, I loved this piece because of the rose detail surrounding the figure!!! You also see a little close-up of the doily, too!!!


Here is a close-up of the crochet work on this pillow case. This was by far my best deal at only $0.10. You'll notice that this is hand crocheted... This was a great deal!!!! It'll fit a standard size pillow!!


I'm new to trying to decorate my home on purpose. I just know what I like, what makes me smile and I buy it...when I can afford it. I had so much fun going to different yard sales. ..I may never pay full price for anything again...maybe..!! I'd appreciate any tips you may have on how I can beautify some of these objects!!! I do love photos and paintings that have Scripture as a caption...so maybe I can incorprate that somehow...Anyway...Thank you for your tips!!!!

I also took a few more nature shots. Those I will save for another day...when I want to talk but don't have any photos to post :) :)


When all the money is totaled up, I spent $7.75 for everything. That's not bad at all. I'm very happy with my purchases. My dad is happy that he's spared from going to yard sales....at least until next week :) :) God is watching out for my pocketbook...and I love it!!!


Oh and thanks for all the lovely things all of you post on your blogs as well as here. I'm loving your stories and the godly encouragement, too!!! You are all blessings!!!


That's the news from Oregon. I'd love to hear about some of your favorite finds!!!! Lots of love, hugs and greetings....Heather :) :) :)

5 comments:

Annesphamily said...

Heather you made out like a bandit! I love that birdcage! Go see Debbie Dabble. She is like a pink queen and she has a cool birdcage with a feather boa draped in it! At least I think it is her! You need to come join Pink Saturdays with Beverly at How Sweet The Sound. We have fun on Saturdays posting our pink wares! I don't want to overwhelm you but really Heather you should join the postcard exchange. I would love to have you and you will be entered in the Colorado goody box giveaway!
Come join some more fun! You will find many wonderful, kind and talented people over here. I am so glad I met you! If you check Beverly's pink post page you will see the huge list of participates and you could get a feel for some of these pinkies and their awesome pinkness!
Please tell your dad Happy Father's Day! Please a wonderful weekend. Hugs Anne

Annesphamily said...

Coffee/Tea stain removal: Get a can of hairspray. Lay your item with the stain on a flat surface like a table. This primes it. Then rub with a bar of soap. Finally rinse it under cold water until it is no longer soapy. Check the stain to make sure it is removed and laundry as usual!

Gerry's Soap N Stuff said...

Oh, I love all of your great finds, especially the bird cage and I can never pass up old linens.
Happy Father's Day to everyone! Gerry

Linda Stubbs said...

What wonderful treasures you found. I love going to garage sales, but don't get to very often. So neat you went with your Daddy!

Blessings, Linda

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hey there everyone...sorry it's been a couple days since I could respond...

@Anne (with an E...recognize the reference from Anne of Green Gables :) :), I'll check out both of those sites. I do love pink now...Im' not sure how much pink stuff I have...but more than I realize. It makes me happy and makes me feel like I have a romantic country Victorian home in the city :) :) That reminds me, I have two different types of pink crochet cotton. I need to use that up and make frilly edgings!!!! I'm also going to see about getting a postcard for the exchange. I'd love a real letter!!!!
Thanks for the tip on the coffee stain removal for the doily. I'll give that a try!!!!

@Gerry - Thanks!!! Do you use lye when you make your homemade soap? I was reading Rhonda's post at "Down to Earth" on how to make homemade soap. I'd love to try it..but am a little scared about the fumes and the chemical reaction of lye being added to the water. Is it really safe? Let me know what your experience has been!!!...when time permits of course ;) :)

@Linda...yeah, I LOVE garage sales. It's always fun to see what people are selling/giving away. One man's "junk" is another man's treasure...and I"ve found some great things!!! It's always worth it to check out every sale...because you'll find something you weren't expectingto find there. I wish I could do this every weekend. Budget does limit me a little bit...BUT I woulod be willing to give up coffee and see what I could find for $5 buck every weekend!!!..Hm...I should challenge myself to that..and see what I come up with!!! Do they have big yard sales where you live? I think it would be fun to have a gigantic yardsale with a bunch of families together!!! You're awesome Linda...so glad you're my friend :) :)

Thanks everyone!!! You ladies are really neat, encouraging , funny...know all the good homemaking tips...Love Jesus!!! You are all that and a bag of chips!!! Love and hugs, Heather :)