Friday, June 18, 2010

JACKSONVILLE, OR - JUNE 18, 2010

Hey there everyone!!! So I finally made it out of town. Today my dad and I paid a visit to a friend in Jacksonville...which is only a few small towns away from where I live :) :) :) In any case, I was going to do a slideshow movie...but I wasn't happy with the quality of the photos. For some reason they were a bit fuzzy...so I'll share them here just as prints instead. The quality is much better and it'll give me a chance to show you a little of my home state of Oregon :) :) :) I'll be doing this in parts because I have a boatload of photos...all worthy of attention.....big smile and laughing right now :)

This was literally a spur of the moment decision to drive out here. It's not very far from my home AND I knew it would make for some great photos.  I love my home and the things in my home...I'm very blessed. However, I thought you might like to see some other things too :) :)


The entrance to Jacksonville Cemetery. I didn't go inside...but I've been told there are some beautiful old headstones there.


My friend's shop is on Oregon Street in Jacksonville, OR :) :) :)


Pretty purple flowers on the corner of Oregon Street.


My friend's business...Segway of Jacksonville. Actually, he's a friend of my dad and myself. We've both known him about about 18 years.


Some of the beautiful plants and flowers around the Segway of Jacksonville business property :) I just learned that this is called "Lamb's Ear". I googled it to make sure the name was right!!!


This is the backside of the house. It was built around 1888 and it's teeny tiny. My dad and I remember when our friend first boughtt his place. He spent a lot of time restoring it and using historical colors etc. It's so beautiful. It's not even finished yet.


Oh, this is my favorite spot. Now this used to be a residence at one time and it's now a business...but I sure would love to have a home just like this. This is just my style. I love these benches...perfect for sitting, visiting and sharing a cup of tea :)


Oh yeah...this is a Segway. They're awesome!!! I'll post a link to Segway of Jacksonville on my sidebar, so you can go check out their site. If you are ever in the Jacksonville, OR area stop by. The people here are very friendly and you can take a tour of the city on one of this fun rides!!!


My friend said this is called a "bleed heart" flower. It really does look like a heart :) :) Even the creation speaks of God's love for us....simply amazing.


I'm not sure what kind of flower this is, but I thought it was pretty...it reminds me of a saxophone shape and I love how it's pink with a hint of bright orange and yellow at the ends.


Oh did I tell you that I love houses from the 19th century? Well, this is a close-up of the door. Just about everything is original..including the door. When you look at the glass...you can tell it's very old. Now the light bulb, that's not very old...but my friend wanted to make sure that whatever modern improvements were made still kept the character of the original home :) :) :)


This was originall built by George Hayes. Jacksonville was founded around 1852... Mr. Hayes built this house for himself and his family. He had a child that died of spinal meningitis. After the child's death, he moved to Montana. That's all I know of the story.

Segway of Jacksonville is a wonderful business.  I like what they offer to the community and because I know these people personally...they are all people of integrity...this is a place I would definitely recommend doing business with.  They have an event called a Dine & Glide....give them a ring for more details or check out the link on the sidebar :) :) :) If you don't see it right away, don't worry...that means I'm working on it. I'll have it up and running shortly...!!

Also very fun is the upcoming "Jacksonville's Jubilee Week" between September 17th - 25th, 2010.  Jacksonville will be celebrating it's official 150th birthday.  There will be performances at Britt, parades, Oktoberfest (in September :), all kinds of tours, old fashioned movies and reenactments.  I'm telling you, this event will be all that and a bag of chips!!!

That's the happenings from Oregon today.  I'll be posting more photos of Jacksonville later this week. So keep an eye out for that. Jacksonville....when you visit there, it's like stepping back in time 150 years to the old west!!

Much love, hugs and greetings from Oregon, Heather :) :)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Heather!

I'm so glad you dropped by for a visit :)

I love the photos! Beautiful house and flowers. I love Bleeding Hearts and finally splurged this year for one. I think the picture after that is of a Honeysuckle. I look forward to reading your blog some more, sorry this visit is late.

Have a blessed weekend sweetie and feel free to e-mail me :)

Sharon

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for paying me a visit. I'll make sure and email you this week. Life has been unexpected busy these last couple of days...but good times :) :) :) Love and hugs, Heather :)