Monday, May 16, 2011

"MOM'S MILD CHILI" FROM GOOSEBERRY PATCH

Hi everyone,
Oh, goodness, I'm really loving my Gooseberry Patch cookbook "Dinner$ on a Dime". It's just packed FULL of economical and super tasty recipes. Here's another one that I made the other day.

THIS IS THE  RECIPE FOR "MOM'S MILD CHILI" SUBMITTED BY JOYCE ROSSBACH OF TROY, MI.
YOU CAN FIND THIS IN  THE GOOSEBERRY PATCH COOKBOOK "DINNER$ ON A DIME".

I love chili. I mean, I really love to eat chili. It's just plain good comfort food. As far as I'm concerned, it's also very good for you. So when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it.  It's easy :) :) Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
* 1 lb. ground beef chuck
* 1 Tbsp. dried, minced onion
*10-3/4 oz. can tomato soup
* 2/3  cup water
* 16 oz . can red beans
* 1- 1/4 oz. pkg. mild chili seasoning mix

In a skillet over medium heat, brown the beef with the onion; drain.

Stire in remaining ingredients; reduce heat to low.

Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Make 4 servings

HEATHER THE WEATHER'S NOTES ON COOKING IN THE KITCHEN:

This recipe is a hands-down WINNER :) :) :) This is just exactly how chili should taste  --- absolutely yummy :) :)

I did make some changes, because I'm making economical and tasty recipes while using up what I have already in the kitchen.  I didn't have minced onion. However, there was a nice little jar of onion powder in my pantry. So that's what I used instead of the minced onion. 

Also, I added some sugar to the recipe to counteract the sometimes sharp taste of tomatoes. It's actually a tip at the bottom of the recipe. So it's worth your money to buy the cookbook. I'm the kind of girl who likes her chili spicy, but also with a little bit of sweet.  It turned out so GOOD.

I'm making this again tonight. My father and I were at the grocery store earlier this morning. We got a one pound chub of ground beef for just $1.99 a pound. That's a steal of a deal, for sure. So I've had a hankering for this chili ever since the last time  I made it ;) :) :)

I also added some nacho blend cheese mix, because I do love cheese, too.  Now to figure out how to make a giant pot of this chili :) :) :)

Thank you so much to Gooseberry Patch for letting me share this recipe. I was not paid for this review. I am happily sharing  products and companies that I LOVE with you :) :) This is a company that combines cuteness/beauty with the very practical need for good things to cook and eat :) :)

Oh, there are lots of prayer requests. If you could pray for a family at my church. The husband, our church's worship leader, had back surgery today. Pray that everything goes well and he can make a full, complete, and speedy recovery. He has a lovely wife and two super cute kids :) :) :)  Pray for lots of things including that God will meet and exceed all the needs that will come up for this family, practical and otherwise. :) :) :)

That's the news from Oregon today . Love and hugs, Heather

9 comments:

Kim B said...

That sounds delicious and you are a cooking roll! I wish we could find ground beef for 1.99 lb, here is 3.99 lb...its unbelievable.
That cookbook does sound like a wonderful one. I said a prayer for the family at your church. Hope that your week is happy.
Hugs from Georgia, Kim

Julia said...

Mmm... looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe! :)

Astrids dragon said...

I like adding a can of corn and making rice to put the chili on top of - yum! I also use diced, spiced tomatoes instead of the soup. It feeds the four of us and gives plenty of leftovers!

Prayers said.

Mrs. Paul said...

Hey Heather - how are you doing?

Sorry I haven't been in touch more. Your blog continues to bless me. I love chili and I love to make it.

Blessings and hugs from Arizona,
Dorothy

Becca said...

Prayed for the worship leader/husband/father you know in need when I prayed for my young cousin's fiance named TJ and a Christian husband/father/surgeon named Dr Johnny Marr--both fighting for their lives with pancreatic cancer....one in the USA and one here in South Africa. Whether its back surgery or cancer, God's Spirit will touch them. I pray that they all are healed this side of heaven for their family and friends' sakes. But, God is Sovereign. His ways are not our ways however heartbreaking life can be.

Gooseberry Patch said...

Looks delicious Heather...thanks so much for sharing the recipe and for your kind words! :)

Rebecca said...

The chili recipe sounds delicious! And that IS a great price for ground beef.

I prayed for your worship leader. There are so many items on my prayer list....So many needs.

Camille said...

We *love* us some good old-fashioned chili around here too Heather! And I *DO* make it in a HUGE pot and it gets all. eaten. up. Bang! Just like that! And yes, a little sweet for us too. :)

Blessings to you!
Camille

Annesphamily said...

I love you Heather! But you are making me hungry! This sounds delicious! I love the Gooseberry Farm Cookbooks. I have a couple but this one sounds terrific. Yummy! Anne