Wednesday, June 22, 2011

MY FOURTH "BUILDING OUR HOMES TOGETHER" FOR WEDNESDAY - JUNE 22ND.
























I'M PARTICIPATING IN THE WEDNESDAY "BUILDING OUR HOMES TOGETHER...WITH JESUS" OVER AT THE PRAIRIE FLOWER FARM BLOG. FEEL FREE TO PAY LINDA A VISIT.  SHE LOVE VISITORS. TELL HER I SAID HELLO :) :) :)

Hi everyone,
What a week. Summer has finally arrived here in Southern Oregon. My dad and I broke down and finally turned the air conditioner on. It's spendy, but so comforting in this hot weather.

Today  will be a short post, because I have lots to do. I just wanted to show you where I'm at in repairing/repainting the curio cabinet.

THIS IS A SMALL WALL CURIO CABINET. I PURCHASED THIS AT A YARDSALE FOR $3.50.

I purchased this curio cabinet a little over a week ago at a yardsale. The lady wanted $5 for it. I was able to talk her down to $3.50, since that was literally all that I had in my wallet at the time.  Making your home look nice, doesn't have to cost a lot.  In fact, I  try and find all my items at yardsales to save money. So this is where it's at right now. I had to fix the little door frame. My dad helped with that. We applied some wood glue and  a clamp. The tape was to hold down a light repair on another part of the curio cabinet. It's unconventional, but it works. We didn't have money to buy another clamp. Today, I'll be taking off the tape and the clamp and sanding it. Wish me luck. It's my first refinishing job.

THIS IS THE DOOR TO THE CURIO CABINET. IT IS NOW A  DISPLAY TRAY FOR MY NEWLY ACQUIRED TEACUPS...WHICH WERE ALSO YARDSALE FINDS.

I was going to share about my yardsale finds today, but there is so MUCH stuff, that I'll save that for another post.  One way to save money is to repurpose stuff. Before you throw  something away, ask yourself if there's a way you could reuse it for something different. In this case, the hinges attached to the door were completely off. The only thing that was holding the door in place was tape.  I decided not to purchase new hinges because of cost. So I just removed the door, added some doilies and teacups...and voila, now I have a display tray :) :) The door hinges are attached to the frame with tacks or something. They aren't easy to remove without ruining the frame..so I'm just going to leave them there. Isn't it vintage cool?  The doilies were part of a set of four for $2 at a yardsale. The teacups were $1 each, also purchased at a yardsale. 

I'M GOING TO PAINT THE CABINET IN "PARIS WHITE". THAT'S THE LIGHTEST COLOR AT THE TOP OF THIS SAMPLE CARD.

I bought just one quart of "Paris White" semi-gloss.  It will do the  job nicely. It was too expensive to buy more colors. So this will be perfect for now. What's really cool is that I can always add more colors/designs later if I choose too :) :)























ON THE TABLE ARE SOME MORE OF THE PAINT SUPPLIES THAT I'LL BE USING TO REFINISH THE CURIO CABINET.  ALL THE STUFF IN THE BACKGROUND IS NOW CLEARED OFF THE TABLE :) :) 

I'll keep you posted about the progress of this project as it comes along. 

Pray for my dad and I. Apartment living isn't always easy. There will be an apartment complex wide inspection on June 30th. They are inspecting all the patios and balconies.  My dad went to the manager's office to ask for details and the manager wasn't very friendly. That's just part of apartment living.  So keep my dad in your prayers. He's feeling a bit stressed.  We are having to completely spring clean the house in just a few days. It was a project that was going to take us longer. Plus, my dad's heart gets tired easy when he's stressed. He's feeling stressed now.  We would really like to move. God is having us stay. We don't understand...but He does and that's enough for the moment ;) :) 

Oh, if you like good church apps for your smartphones, another one to try is from Pastor Greg Laurie of Harvest Church. It's free to install and comes with lots of extras. I'll share more about that next week I was enjoying reading my daily devotional right from my smartphone today while out running errands. My dad was a real sweetheart and let me stay in the car with the air-conditioning while he ran some errands. 

That's the news from Oregon today. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)




9 comments:

Kim B said...

Oh I remember how hard apartment living is. I hope its a quick inspect and leave. I cant wait to see your newly painted cabinet, you have a selected a great color. Hope your dad doesnt get too stressed. Have a wonderful day, Hugs, Kim

Linda Stubbs said...

Hi Heather........love your cabinet. You are going to have so much fun with it! Love the color. The door is so sweet with your treasures placed on top.

Praying for you and your Dad. The Lord will be right in front of you both! Tell your Daddy to not worry! Oh and give him a hug.

Thanks for the info on Greg Laurie......he is so good!

Tay is doing better today. Aches all over her body......so thankful she is okay. It could been so bad. Praising the Lord!
Hugs sweetie and thanks again for signing up today!

Susan M. said...

Heather,

Good luck with your spring cleaning. Hope it doesn't stress you and your dad out tooooo much. I will be praying for you both.

I'm so looking forward to seeing the transformation of your little curio project :D What fun!

Hugs,

Susan M.

Prairiemaid said...

Heather, your cabinet is going to be lovely! I can't wait to see the finished product!

I will be praying for your dad, about the inspection and for you!

Blessings my friend,
Cheryl

Rebecca said...

I think you're very creative (and wise)! Using the door for a tray is a terrific idea! You now have two items for one price.

I have prayed that the inspection will go smoothly and that your father won't stress over the inspection.

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

I admired that tray in your last post but I didn't realize it was the curio door.. now that's NIFTY!

This makeover is going to be fun to watch. You can do it girl!!

I will keep you and your Dad in my prayers. Sometimes it's so hard, but His timing is always the best!

Leaon Mary said...

Hey Heather,
What a beautiful little cabinet and I too love the new look you're giving it!!
Prayin for you and your Dad... hope everything goes okay -- I could feel your stress over it. I'm sorry the other man isn't too friendly... that makes life hard.
Have a blessed weekend friend!
Holykisses xoxo

Hana - Marmota said...

That cabinet is fantastic, and I think it will look great in white - when I first read that you're going to repaint it, I thought white would look good. :-)

Arizona Luxury Home Builder said...

Yes that cabinet will look lovely in white.. praying for your apartment inspection.. how about deciding to buy a new home, instead? :)